Same Old, Same Old

Thursday, July 14, 2011 2 comments
Despite the fact that yesterday the nurse told us that a doctor would definitely visit us today, no doctor ever came.  At first the only trauma doctor was supposedly called to surgery, and then he was called to the ER.  He never made it to take a look at Mauri.
There just isn't any justification for this. When the doctors actually do stop by, they aren't even there for 5-10 minutes. They only stop by for a minute or two. I have a hard time understanding how they can't find those measly 2 minutes to come and see each patient.
So, to sum it up, Mauri arrived in the ER on Sunday morning.  Two surgeons stitched him up, and, after taking a couple of x-rays, two trauma doctors came to take a look.  He was then sent to an observation room for a little under an hour, before being assigned to a hospital room in the trauma ward.  The rest of the day was pretty uneventful.
A typical male, Eric always wants control of the remote control
Monday morning Mauri had his CAT scan, and, after a nurse cleaned and re-bandaged the wound, a trauma doctor came to tell us that the CAT scan showed that he was missing a large piece of bone, and that we would have to wait for awhile before deciding what to do about it because now there is too much risk of infection.  She didn't take a look at the wound because the nurse had just bandaged it, and instead just asked if it had bled a lot.
Since then, nobody had taken a look at the wound.  So, no doctor has seen it since he came in on Sunday.
After the nurse cleaned it, nobody even glanced at it.
Tonight, after finding out that the doctor had left, Mauri finally asked a nurse if they were planning on cleaning and re-bandaging the wound, telling her that we had been told to do it daily when they thought they were going to be sending us home.  Here, though, they don't seem to think it is as important when they are the ones that need to do it.  After I left, though, I guess the nurse did go clean the wound, but, as I said, no doctors have done anything since Monday.  I wasn't there when the nurse came back because I left a little bit early to go see what the kids were doing in Mauri's parents' barrio.

Eric is a bit too young for most of the activities, but we did have him do the "ribbon race" with the rest of the kids.  After a few more activities, the kids started to throw water balloons at each other, and I grabbed a water balloon for Eric to play with.  The last day or so, he has been trying to put everything into his mouth, so I think that maybe his other little lower central incisor is about to come in.  I tried to keep the balloon from his mouth, but he kept trying to put it back in- until he finally popped it.

I guess tomorrow is a new day. Hopefully a doctor will come to see Mauri, and I'll have something new to tell you. If not, we hit the weekend when, once again, the hospital will be deserted, and it will be very unlikely that a doctor will stop by to see how he's doing- thus making it a full week without any doctors stopping by.

2 comments:

  • estrellas4mere said...

    That is so insanely frustrating Tracy. I'm sorry that the medical system is so messed up. You think the needs of the patients would mean something.

    Is Mauri doing okay even though he is being ignored by the doctors? Has he had company other than you and family?

    I always love the videos and pictures of Eric. I show them to all my friends and family. :)

    Is there an American with you at the barrio? A former student? I thought I heard another woman speaking English in the water balloon video.

    I'll write you back on fb soon.

    Besitos a todos. Y espero que Marui se recupare rapido.

  • TJ said...

    Thanks, guapa!!
    Yeah, Marui ;) is doing well wound-wise. He's mostly just frustrated and bored and having a hard time lying still for so long.
    A few people have come by to visit for short visits, but it's mostly me during the day, and somebody from his immediate family (his mom or brother) at night. Mauri isn't big on visits anyways, which I understand because I'm the same way. I mean, if a friend were to stop by and hang out for awhile, that's cool. My friend Maite would come when I was in the hospital, and her Hans would hang out with Mauri. It was a good way to have someone with me if I needed something, letting Mauri get out of the room. We would talk about other things, rather than my infection, so her visits were fun. On the other hand when people like acquaintances, people from work, and distant family members go and stand there and don't say much during a "forced" visit, or just ask the same things over and over... well, I'd just as soon have no visit myself, too. ;)
    As for the Americans- there are actually 3 former students here, that I know of, right now. Brooke R. from 2008- that's who you're hearing on the video. Sarah O. and Brittany R., from 2010, I think, are here too. I saw them one evening for coffee. We all got together with Vero (and Brooke) for frozen yogurt and a walk around the port. We were planning to have a fiesta or BBQ or something t my house with everybody, including Pablito, but then Mauri decided to go bike riding!!!!
    Feeling a bit sad for Brooke being here by herself, I call her if I get a free moment- like yesterday when I went to see the kids' thing. I think the other two are having plenty of fun on their own, and don't really need me. :)
    How's all with you? (Maybe a question for fb?) ;)

Post a Comment

 

©Copyright 2011 Tracy's Baby Blog | TNB