Fiestas are Fiestas!

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 0 comments

This morning, when I was getting Eric ready to go visit Mauri, I noticed that he was starting to get more red spots on his legs.  Yesterday morning they were just on the back of his thighs, but today they have moved up to between his legs, and there's even a spot or two on the front of his thighs.
When I picked him up, I also noticed that he was warmer than usual.  So, I tried to take his temperature, and, although he didn't stop moving long enough for me to get a good reading, I could tell that he did have a little bit of a fever.  Since he was crawling all over the place, and seemed as happy as usual, I decided against giving him the acetaminophen yet.  If he starts to get fussy, then we'll see.
Anyways, Eric and I headed to the hospital to go visit Mauri, and when we arrived, I was surprised to see that there were so many free parking spaces because yesterday I had to park outside of the boundaries of the hospital.  When I went inside, I couldn't help but notice that the hospital seemed deserted.
We asked the nurse about it, and she said that it was because today was a holiday in Denia.  Technically, the only real holiday here is tomorrow, but the hospital decided to take two days off, I guess.  Even the nurse didn't understand it, and said that there were only two nurses available today for the whole section, and that she was a bit swamped. 
So, no doctors stopped by today, and it is likely that no doctors will stop by tomorrow either.  Nobody came to take a look at the wound or change the bandages either.  In Mauri's case, it probably doesn't really affect him much, but there were other patients who seemed to be pretty upset about it.  I was trying to translate for a British woman who was almost in tears complaining about how her husband's bandages were dirty, and how she couldn't understand how nobody was tending to him.  I could tell that the poor nurses were frustrated, and didn't know how to answer her.
In general, the nurses here have been nice, and my experiences at this hospital have been much better than in any other hospital that I'd been to here in Spain.  That doesn't mean that there aren't things that couldn't be changed for the better.  I prefer to look at the bright side, though.
Another thing that I didn't mention is that Mauri has his own room just like I did when Eric was born.  Yes, we have to pay an outrageous 4 Euros a day for a few channels of TV with very basic settings (meaning that we can't watch shows in their original language like we can with digital TV at home), but at least we can watch whatever we want, and when we want to turn the TV off, we can. 
What we can't turn off, though, is the sound of the screaming of the old, crazy, German woman next door.  Mauri's parents complained about her after Mauri was unable to sleep the night before due to her constant screaming and yelling, but were told that there were no other free rooms to move either of them to.  That's probably true because he is in a room at the very end of the hallway.  I wonder what they do when somebody else has an accident.  Hmmmmm 
Today I decided to bring my computer with me to the hospital so that I could write the blog update here, which will let me relax and get to bed earlier tonight.  I was able to enable internet on my phone for the rest of the month, and to connect my computer to my phone's internet connection.  It's working really well.
That said, I'm going to try to pay attention to Mauri now.  With tomorrow being a holiday here, I don't know if there will be anything new to tell you, but I'll try to make a quick update no matter what.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

©Copyright 2011 Tracy's Baby Blog | TNB