April 15 checkup at the private office

Thursday, April 15, 2010 0 comments
It's always nice to be looking forward to a visit at the private doctor's office. Despite the fact that the new hospital is worlds better than the old hospital, it still has been geared towards fulfilling the very basic needs of health care, and doesn't really have the comfort/happiness of the patient in mind. From my experience, that's pretty much a common point in health care here in Spain. That's why it is worthwhile to have a private doctor throughout this experience. You gain back some of the choices taken away from you by the private system, and get treated much differently. (Too bad it was impossible to have been able to go through a private system when Mauri was in the hospital. Of course, here the public system has taken over. So, even if you are willing to pay for a private hospital in a situation like his, it is impossible, because the private clinics haven't been allowed to develop enough to be able to take care of someone in as critical a condition as he was.)
Anyways, when I go to the private office, I know exactly who my doctor will be, because I chose him. (This is obviously not the case at the hospital where I have had 6 different doctors for my 6 different visits.) I know that he will be willing to answer any questions that I might have, and he won't rush me out of his office. Best of all, though, I know that he is keeping track of all of my visits, and now I have a souvenir to show for it...
At the hospital, I could barely see my baby during the last visit. The screen was turned towards the doctor in a way that I could barely see it. Here, though, I have everything magnified onto a big screen in front of me, so that I can see everything that the doctor is looking at, and he explains what everything is throughout the whole process. So, having seen him so well last night, I guess there is now no doubt in my mind that my baby really is a boy.
The visit went well, and was uneventful except for the part where I was weighed and about had a heart attack. :) Ok, well, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit.
So, there really isn't much to tell. In fact, I'll be able to show you- which is even better.
The doctor, of course, confirmed that my baby is a boy. He also said that everything is progressing well, and looks normal. It's also looking, at each visit, like it's less and less likely that Mauri and the baby will have the same birthday (Sept. 16th). According to the progression, instead of looking like a baby at 18 weeks and 2 days due on sept. 14th, my baby looks like it is 19 weeks and 1 day. So, he may be coming a bit earlier than expected.
After the appointment was over, they told me to wait a minute, that they had something for me...
While I was scheduling my next appointment (5 weeks from now), the assistant came back out with a dvd for me. At the time I didn't know what it was, but I was pretty excited anyways. So, instead of putting up the pictures they printed out for me, I'm going to show you part of what it was: the video of the whole ultrasound (and the ultrasounds of the last 2 visits). I have been editing it to get rid of my details, so that I could share it in the easiest way I know of- using youtube. This is the first time that I've done this, so it has taken me quite awhile. So, that's why I'm not scanning the other sheets for now. I want to share this ASAP. :)
I will later edit the other two ultrasounds. They aren't quite as interesting, but some of you might be interested in seeing them anyways, so I will get to it.
So, without further ado:


I hope you liked it!
Well, before I go, I'll paste in what they sent me by email about week 18 of pregnancy:

How your baby's growing:

Head to rump, your baby is about 5 1/2 inches long (about the length of a bell pepper) and he weighs almost 7 ounces. He's busy flexing his arms and legs — movements that you'll start noticing more and more in the weeks ahead. His blood vessels are visible through his thin skin, and his ears are now in their final position, although they're still standing out from his head a bit. A protective covering of myelin is beginning to form around his nerves, a process that will continue for a year after he's born. If you're having a girl, her uterus and fallopian tubes are formed and in place. If you're having a boy, his genitals are noticeable now, but he may hide them from you during an ultrasound.

How your life's changing:

Hungry? An increase in appetite is pretty common about now. Make it count by choosing meals and snacks that are rich in nutrients instead of empty calories (chips, French fries, candy, and other sweets). Bigger, more comfortable clothes are a must now as your appetite and waistline grow.

Your cardiovascular system is undergoing dramatic changes, and during this trimester your blood pressure will probably be lower than usual. Don't spring up too fast from a lying or sitting position or you might feel a little dizzy.

From now on, when you do lie down, it's best to lie on your side — or at least partly tilted to one side. (When you lie flat on your back, your uterus can compress a major vein, leading to decreased blood return to your heart.) Try placing a pillow behind you or under your hip or upper leg for comfort.

If you haven't already had a second-trimester ultrasound, you'll probably have one soon. This painless procedure helps your practitioner check how your baby's growing, screen for certain birth defects, check the placenta and umbilical cord, determine whether the due date you're working with is accurate, and see how many babies you're carrying. During the exam, you might see your baby moving around or sucking his thumb. Bring your partner along, and be sure to ask for a printout for your baby's first photo album!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

©Copyright 2011 Tracy's Baby Blog | TNB