New midwife

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 0 comments
Well, today I was back to a bit of confusion... I guess, back to the "real world" or at least what I'm more accustomed to.
If you recall, I had changed this appointment by phone since the only appointment that I could get for the hospital happened to coincide with my midwife appointment.
When I got to where I had met my widwife last time, though, I found that the other midwife, Carmen, was there, and my midwife, Socorro, was nowhere to be found.
Just in case they had put me with the wrong midwife, I checked the appointment list, but found that my name wasn't on the list.
So now what?
I looked across the hall to the other room where my midwife said that she sometimes might be, but there was no list of appointments up, and the woman sitting inside didn't look familiar to me.
I suspected that they had given me the wrong appointment by phone.
I went downstairs, and there was a huge line for appointments, and I didn't know who else to ask about it. I took a number just in case, and finally went to the only place without a line- the emergency room.
I asked what I should do, but was told that only the people at the front desk (where 36 people were ahead of me in line- and my appointment was for 2 minutes from now, by this point) could tell me if my appointment was right. Even if I had access to the internet, I wouldn't have been able to check on it because the system is so primitive, that they only allow you to set up an appointment with your primary doctor online. Once you've set it up, you can't check on it nor can you cancel it. Even if you could, this appointment was with the midwife, and not with my primary doctor, so... well, you get the idea.
I was trying to think of how else I could figure it out...
Then, the woman said that she had seen Socorro, so I should go back upstairs to the other exam room and look for her.
So, I decided to go back upstairs...
Back upstairs, I was confronted with the same situation as before.
Could the woman in the office be Socorro, and I just didn't remember her that well?!?!?
Finally, I decided to just peek in and ask...
¿Está Socorro?
Ahora soy Socorro yo.
Just like that, my midwife had been changed, but nobody had informed me, nobody had put up the list so that we would know where to go...
Like I said, the usual confusion.
I had come very close to just leaving and making a new appointment for a different day.

Luckily I didn't. (and if I had, I'm sure I would have had the same problem again next time!)
Once inside, there was a bit of confusion about my dates, and we took awhile to clear it up...
Then, we went over the results of my blood analysis. Everything looked good, and I was no longer close to being anemic. If anything, my levels were pretty high. So, they told me that I could stop taking the iron.
I found out my blood type, and found that I don't have Hep B, HIV nor Syphilis. (Good to know)
I also don't have antibodies to toxoplasma gondii, so no jamón serrano for me anytime soon. :(
I'm also supposed to be careful around cats, and in the garden. (use gloves, and wash hands frequently).
There wasn't much else to do. except to weigh me (ouch!), and to take my blood pressure (normal). I realized that I'm already up a few kilos!! I guess I should have realized that already, though, based on the size of my growing belly.

Now, I just have to wait for next week's appointment, and 2 weeks later I should have the results. It is a bit of a wait, but I guess I'm not surprised. Maybe the private doctor will be able to fill me in on what's going on a bit sooner!!

On my way out of the clinic, I ran into a friend of mine who just had a baby. Her little boy was asleep in the stroller, so I didn't get to "meet" him, but I was glad to see that mother and baby looked great!!! I stayed awhile and talked to her, until she was called in to see the doctor, and then I was on my way.

Overall, despite the non-organization and confusion at the beginning, the visit was fine. The new midwife seemed relatively pleasant, and I don't have any complaints.

Now, I just hope that they don't change me again, so I can finally start to feel like I know what's going on.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

©Copyright 2011 Tracy's Baby Blog | TNB