Our Trip: Part 2

Friday, February 24, 2012 0 comments
Well, last time, I wrote about our actual trip to Grand Rapids, but didn't write a lot about what we actually did when we got there.  As I said, the snow arrived a couple of days after we did, but, just as quickly as it arrived, it also went away.  The sun came out, and we had mostly beautiful, sunny weather.  I didn't really need to use my winter jacket for more than a few days, and crazy Mauri never ended up using one.
Incidentally, the weather here in Denia took a change for the worse once we left, and we missed what was supposedly record-breaking cold temperatures.  Should one doubt that we were the ones who brought the nice weather with us, once we left Grand Rapids, the snow and cold supposedly returned, and once we made it back to Denia, the sun came back and the weather here warmed up a bit.  In the past, whenever I travelled with the Calvin students studying in Denia, I always brought the cold and rain with me, but it seems that I've broken the curse of always bringing bad weather with me on trips!
As far as I'm concerned, the weather was perfect; it was exactly what I wanted it to be.  I was hoping for a little bit of snow so that I could get some pictures of the snow and of Eric reacting to it.  On the other hand, I didn't want so much of it that I wouldn't be able to move around freely from place to place.  I had planned on making Eric a snowman or at least a snow angel, but ended up being too lazy to actually get around to doing it.  Had I thought that he would actually understand the concept, I might have gone through with it.     I conformed to getting some cute pictures of Eric outside in the beautiful, white snow.
The snow kept falling and falling those first days, but it wasn't enough to keep us from having fun.  That first weekend Grandma Sandra and we ended up doing something that I used to do as a kid: go eat at Chuck E. Cheese's.  Actually, when I used to go to the very same location, it was called Showbiz Pizza.  It was a fun place, but I think that Chuck E. Cheese's is a bit better suited to kids of all ages.  I went expecting that Eric wouldn't be able to do that much, but I was surprised to find that they had a little toddler area for kids Eric's size.  There were even two booths in that area, so we were able to eat our pizza right in the same area where Eric could freely run around and play.  He loved it, and he also loved their pizza.
Eric tends to be quite a good eater, but he tends to be a bit picky, especially when it comes to eating meat and chicken, for example.  Somehow, though, on this trip, he seemed to love the food everywhere we went.  We ended up having to take him for Bourbon chicken 3 times during our short trip because he loved it so much!!!  It got to the point that I was embarrassed to even walk in front of that place anymore.  I'll save that story for later, though.
After playing for awhile, Eric devoured his pizza, and then went back to playing some more.  We had some tokens for him to play on some of the rides and games, but for the most part, Eric liked the rides better when they weren't actually moving, and he enjoyed himself most on the token-free toddler slide area.  In fact, it was probably on the slide at Chuck E. Cheese's where Eric first climbed up and went down a slide by himself.
You can see in the picture that the slide area was in the form of a little house.  The steps go up to the house which has a big plexiglass window so that parents can see in.  There are things to play with inside, and the kids leave the house by going down the slide.  Eric loved it, and he kept going down the slide, trying going down a different way each time.
We had so much fun at Chuck E. Cheese's that we returned another day with Grandpa José, who used to bring me to Showbiz when I was younger.  We played some more games, let Eric play on the slide some more, and all got pictures taken with Eric in a photo/drawing booth too.
Here's a short video to show you how much fun Eric had while he was there:


I was going to write a little bit more about the days it was snowing, but in the interest of getting another blog post out, I'll leave that for another day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

©Copyright 2011 Tracy's Baby Blog | TNB