It's So Hard to Say Goodbye

Thursday, October 20, 2011 0 comments
Once again I'm sorry that I've taken so long to write.  I've been keeping busy trying to organize and fix all of the pictures of Eric's first year whenever I get inside so that I can get some photo books as a memento.  I also still need to make DVD’s of these pictures to get them out to family.
That said, we've been trying to take advantage of the last few days of nice weather, and have been spending most of our free time outside.  Eric seems to really enjoy being outside, but I haven't been able to take advantage of the fenced in area for getting anything done because he's recently been struck with a case of mommy-itis.  Actually, I guess it's really more of a case of separation anxiety, but since I'm the one who's usually with him, it's hard to separate myself from him without him getting very upset.  To keep the neighbors from thinking that I'm doing something terrible to him, as one would think from the way he wails at the top of his lungs whenever I go away, I tend to stay right by his side.  I would bring my computer down with me, but Eric is too drawn to it, and loves ripping off all of my keyboard keys and pushing all of the buttons.  Plus, it is very hard to see what I'm doing on my monitor with the outside light.  So, I haven't gotten as much done as I would have liked.  
I have taken advantage of the nice weather, and have gotten some work done in the garden, but usually I bring Eric around the garden with me so that he can be by my side.  I have to keep an eye on him, though, because he is very quick to find new and disgusting things to try to put into his mouth.
Just around the time that he is struck by separation anxiety, he has finally learned to wave goodbye.  He has actually gotten quite good at it when we are at supermarkets, and he usually waves goodbye to the cashiers at the checkout lane.  When it comes to one of us leaving, though, he isn't as good at it.  So, when Mauri leaves the house to go work on the boat, I tell him to wave goodbye to him, but he just looks the other way.  It's as if he feels like if he doesn't wave goodbye, then we aren't actually going to leave.
He has also learned to clap his hands, and think it's really funny if we clap along with him, yell out "Bravo!" or when we sing "palmas, palmitas" whenever he claps.  So, he does it quite often lately.  Up until now his way of getting our attention, and trying to make us imitate him, was to either blow "raspberries," or make a fake coughing-type sound in the back of his throat.  Now, though, he's added clapping and waving.  Mauri pointed out that he's also been saying something a lot lately that sounds like "A-de."  After paying a bit of attention, I've noticed that he says it a lot when he's waving.  So it makes me think that he may be trying to say "Adios," which is what pretty much everybody says whenever they see him wave here.
Also keeping me busy, I've been trying to organize all of Eric's clothes.  We've been having summer-type days, so I can't completely put away the summer clothes, but I've been bringing out most of his winter clothes.  He's been mostly wearing short sleeves with long pants lately.  The long pants help keep him from scraping his leg as he pulls himself around on the ground, especially outside.  In the early morning and in the late afternoon it's been getting much cooler, though, and I've been bringing out some of his lighter jackets.  I realized just how many coats and jackets he has for this winter-a ridiculous number of them.  (So, please, none as gifts!!!)  He has some very cute ones, though, so, although I'm not looking forward to the cooler weather, I am looking forward to being able to dress him up in them. Supposedly the cooler weather was coming as soon as tomorrow, but judging from the way it seems to be pouring outside, it’s likely already here.  :(
Poor little Eric seems to have been affected by the weather changes, and he once again has a cold.  He seemed to have a little bit of a fever at night the last few nights too, but it isn’t enough to really do anything about it.  He still has been moving around a lot, but hasn’t wanted to eat much, and has wanted to be held more than usual.  So, that’s what I’ve been doing, especially in the afternoon. 
Like I said, though, Eric has continued to want to move around a lot, and it is very hard to keep him in one place.  He spends the better part of the day going from room to room opening and closing things, taking things out of their places, and moving them into other rooms and other places. 
Today I finally went to get my hair cut.  I realized that it had been over 6 months since my last haircut, and it was really starting to show. Anyways, to be able to get it cut in peace this time, I left Eric with Mauri’s mom.  When I was finished, and went to get Eric, I found him scooting himself around on the floor from her kitchen to her patio.  He was grabbing her Tupperware-type containers, bringing them from the kitchen into the patio, opening up the garbage container there and throwing them into the trash.  She would get them out, and he would start the process all over again.
At home he’s always busy doing similar activities.  He likes to bring my nail files, brushes and plastic perfume and lotion bottles from the bathroom into the living room.  I’ve hidden the glass bottles and other more dangerous things out of reach.  In the kitchen he’s always opening up all of my drawers and cabinets, and he takes out whatever he can. 
He has a fascination for opening and closing things. We have been able to use that to our advantage at meal time, and can often get him to eat, when he wouldn’t otherwise, by distracting him with something to open and close or having him put the top onto something and take it off again. 
As for moving him around, although he is very efficient at getting around by pulling himself around on the floor, he is very close to being able to walk by himself.  He walks well when cruising on furniture, and also walks well when holding our hands.  When holding our hands, he barely uses them for any support other than an emotional one.  Lately he has even been letting go of one hand, to show off how he can wave his free hand, and keeps walking without problems.  He also lets go and stands by himself for short periods, and has taken a step, only one, from that standing position, but he quickly sits down on the ground afterwards.
Over the next few days, I’m sure I’ll have more to tell about that.  I’ll try to be better about updating again very soon. I have more to write about, but I want to get a post up now, so it will have to wait until next time. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

©Copyright 2011 Tracy's Baby Blog | TNB