Due date tomorrow... still nothing new to tell.

Monday, September 13, 2010 0 comments
I have to admit that I thought that I'd have met Eric by now.  After the hospital visit and days full of sronger, yet irregular contractions, I was sure that I would have the baby before the weekend was over.
By waiting, though, I guess I did have the opportunity to get my hair cut on Saturday, and to go to the secular baptism on Saturday night.
I woke up Saturday a bit more uncomfortable than usual, and had a bit of spotting, which made me think that I could go into active labor at any time.  I wanted to at least try to get my hair cut, though.  So, I had Mauri bring me to my friend's house, and she fixed me up to look good to meet my baby.  We talked about what was happening, and both figured it could be any time now.  In the early morning I had still been having a lot of contractions, but by the time she was drying my hair, things had calmed down a bit, and I was feeling a little less uncomfortable.
Things remained the same, so we decided it would be OK to go to the baptism.  I was feeling relatively well, and have to admit that I was a bit curious about what a secular baptism would be like.  Honestly, I didn't think it would have anything to do with water, and just assumed that it would be more like a "welcoming of the baby" party.  I have never seen a baby shower here, so I guess there is a need for an excuse to have a party for the baby.  Normally that celebration is covered here when they baptize the baby.  That is when the godparents are officially decided, I guess, too, and they are a part of the ceremony.
I was wrong, though.  Water was involved.  We all headed from the restaurant to the beach where they undressed the baby, and the godfather, his uncle, dressed in shorts, got into the water and immersed the baby in the water of the sea.  I can't really figure out if there is supposed to be some sort of symbolism involved, or if it is just due to a need to have some sort of ceremony (and I haven't been able to find anyone able to answer my question). Anyways, the baby cried a little, and they brought him out and wrapped him in a towel.  They said a few words and asked for volunteers to speak.  Being a bit out of my realm, though, of course I didn't offer.  I hadn't thought to take a picture, but I remembered that I had my camera in my purse, and snapped a picture of the baby afterwards.   
I also made Mauri take a picture of me, assuming that Eric could be born at any time, and that I wouldn't have another opportunity to get a picture of pregnant me and my big belly.  Since my oversized bright blue croc sandals are the only shoes of mine that I can actually (barely) fit into these days, and they were a bit too conspicuous for a baptism albeit secular, you can see I wore Mauri's flip flops.  Ironically my croc sandals are normally very big on me, but have lately been feeling quite snug.  So, anyways, for those who wanted to see a picture, here I am with my extra 44 pounds or so and my big, fat, swollen feet and ankles. 

I started to get tired after the dinner of tapas, and also started to have more contractions and to feel more uncomfortable.  We managed to stay until basically the end, though, and then headed home so that I could relax.  I noticed a little more spotting, and couldn't help wondering if Eric would be born that night.  I did get up a few times during the night, when a stronger contraction would wake me up, but then I managed to get back to sleep again.  Eric seems to be pretty comfortable where he is, and doesn't seem to be in any hurry to meet us.
Yesterday he was moving around quite a bit from side to side.  He kept resting in ways that made it very uncomfortable for me to sit, and I kept pushing him back to the center of my belly.  Despite numerous contractions over the course of the day, though, nothing else new happened, and the day passed like pretty much any other.
So, that brings me to today, and I don't have much more to tell.  We currently have someone finishing up the tiling of our "basement."  Mauri and I had tiled most of the floor earlier on in the year, but now it just made more sense to pay someone to finish the job for us.  This is the part we tiled, and you can see it is full of IKEA boxes full of goodies to set up once we've finished the tiling and painting.
Here is what the bathroom, the part that is being tiled now, is looking like so far:

I can't wait to have it all finished and ready to use for guests.  It will also be nice to have a bathroom nearby when we are outside.
Other that that, there isn't much more to tell today.  I woke up more swollen than usual, and was a little bit worried because I have been having higher blood pressure readings quite often lately.  I know that preeclampsia could show up at any time, so I took my bp.  Luckily it was back to 117/78, so I feel a lot better about that.  Tomorrow morning, on my due date, I have my first official hospital appointment monitor session.  We'll just have to wait and see what happens... maybe Eric will decide to come first.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

©Copyright 2011 Tracy's Baby Blog | TNB