Well-intentioned people are starting to really annoy me.

Saturday, June 5, 2010 0 comments
Well, where do I start.
I've been using the last week to get the house in a bit better shape for baby.
I've mostly emptied his closet now, and have moved all of those things to the office, which I have been slowly pulling apart and reogranizing.
Truthfully, I have probably been pushing myself a little bit too much, but I really want to have it finished!!
I think it also started to affect my sleep. The second I admit to worrying about sleeping too much, I can no longer sleep at night!! So, I spent two restless nights in a row. Yesterday, though, I realized that it might also be because I've been a little too obsessed with finishing up the office and baby's room. So, I got as much done as I could yesterday, and things were looking much better, and finally I was able to sleep again.
It's amazing how much is really constantly going through my mind at all times, and I think that is really what has also been affecting my sleep.
What isn't helping, though, is everyone trying to help out by giving their opinions about absolutely everything!!
Isn't it enough that when I run into people in the street, they must comment that now I am getting really fat?!?!
And how about when I say I'm having a boy, that they respond- Well, the important thing is that the baby is healthy!! (What is that supposed to mean!?!?!??! Nobody wanted a boy!?!??!)
I'm actually pretty happy that he will be a boy because most people we know have had girls, and, even then, I'm getting hand-me-downs from all of Denia.
Don't get me wrong. I like the good intentions, and I am usually pretty practical, and don't want to waste money. On the other hand everyone offering me eveything that they ever bought or received takes a little bit of the fun out of things for me, and in the long run doesn't always save me the money everyone thinks it will.
Let's start with the first example. I accepted a crib that was offered to me, but now I'm wondering if it's even going to work out to be more expensive for me in the long run. I had a crib picked out from IKEA that went with the dresser/changing table that I bought (the one thing that I have been able to pick out for myself). It really wasn't expensive (less than 100 euros), and I would have been able to buy the crib and matress and everything else there together. I figured as long as I'm spending a ton of time on painting the baby's room, the room should look like I want it to in the end. Still, I figured I should be a bit more practical, and I accepted the crib. When I wanted to schedule a time to pick it up, though, the people who had offered it to me asked me if I wanted it already!!! (I wanted to make sure it's OK, because if not I still have to find my own. Anyways, what do they expect? Should I wait and pick it up on my way to the hospital??) The husband responds- What are you like 3 months along?? (um, no, try 6 months)
I like to plan ahead. I'm sorry, I don't like leaving things to the last minute. So, you offer me the crib, and then make me feel guilty about wanting it before the baby is actually born?
So, I saved the money on the crib, but, then, everyone tells me not to use the same old matress and to buy a new latex one. I will be very annoyed if I have to buy a special matress for this crib that will end up costing the same (or more) than the crib+matress in IKEA that I wanted in the first place. So, now I have a scratched-up crib which is nice, but is a style that I wouldn't exactly have chosen myself (I'm not big on curvy wood with engraved flowers- I wanted simple and straight with an antique finish like the floors and the changing table), and I may end up spending the same amount on it (or more) that I would have spent buying what I wanted in the first place.
Then, there's the stroller. Mauri's brother keeps telling me that they didn't use the bassinet of their stroller hardly at all, and that we can use that.
First of all, I don't love their stroller/stroller system. Secondly, their stroller was very, very expensive. So, what am I supposed to do? Am I supposed to buy the rest of their expensive system just so that I can use their barely used bassinet on it??
What if I would like to pick out my own darn stroller?!?!?
Mauri could tell I was starting to get annoyed. So, he politely answered that we already have one picked out, but his brother keeps bringing it up each time we see him.
And, how do you politely say "no, I don't really want your used breast pump (yuck!!!), and I want to choose my own system and buy it new and clean!?!"
So now, in the last week, I have been offered everything from bottle sterilizers to a "Moses" (a small crib for next to our bed, if it fits), to 3 or 4 "baby parks," to, who knows what else.
While it's nice to have people trying to help out, and to be able to save some money (maybe) on some things, I'm starting to feel like I'm not going to be able to pick anything out on my own.
So, while "the important thing is that the baby arrives healthy," it's not such a bad thing he's a boy. If he were a girl, he'd probably have had his whole wardrobe lined up for him from here to eternity!!!
As long as I'm on the subject, lately the conversations in the street have been changing, but are just as annoying. For example, just this morning, we were dropping my mother-in-law off at her house, and ran into one of her neighbors.
She felt the need to comment that as soon as this one was born, I immediately should try for another one. So, my mil responded that one is enough for us, and we also have dogs to keep us company.
Wait a minute!!! Are they really arguing about how many kids I should have and when!?!??!
Shouldn't I get to have this one, enjoy him for little bit, and decide for myself (ourselves) whether or not we want to have another?!?!??! Who's to say that I need more than one? Or that one is enough for us?? Shouldn't I have a say??? (after seeing what having one is like!?!?!)
So, it's not enough that I can't choose my own crib/stroller/breast pump, I also have to be told how many kids to have and when!?!??!?
Maybe that's why I've been spending most of my time lately at home, fixing up the house!
That said, here's some pictures of the baby's room so far.
I still might add a few small fish and/or sea creatures, etc.
I can also say that, in the end, I had to add daddy's boat to the room after he insited on it for awhile. At first, I was a bit worried that daddy's boat might try to fish my tropical fish, after having worked so hard on them, but Mauri promised he wouldn't. I also decided that baby might actually like having daddy's boat always nearby.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

©Copyright 2011 Tracy's Baby Blog | TNB