Week 28. Sorry, it's been awhile!!

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 0 comments

Today I hit the 28 week point, and I just realized that I am already also officially in my third trimester. It's hard to believe that things have been moving so quickly. I guess it's good that I've been keeping busy lately preparing myself for baby's arrival.

Yesterday I went to the private doctor again, and was given another dvd, supposedly with the last 2 appointments on it. Unfortunately, I tried it out, and it doesn't work. Somehow there was a bit of a mix-up, and my computer reads it as a blank disk. I have written them by email to see if I can go this afternoon to exchange it. (Hopefully, they have the appointments saved somewhere else too.) So, I will get video of the last 2 appointments up on the blog ASAP.





The appointment went well overall. Although baby kept covering up his face with his hands as usual, we were able to get a peek at his face. We actually thought that his nose was really big, but the doctor assured us that the angle at which you see the baby gives that impression, and that everyone thinks the same thing about their babies. :)


When we saw his profile, we were able to confirm that the doctor was right, and that baby is actually pretty cute.










When it came to the time of measuring him, Mauri saw my belly moving, and asked if it was the baby. Before I could respond, the doctor confirmed it, and said that he was having a hard time getting measurements because the baby was moving so much. Right now, he has his head down below my belly button on my right side looking towards the left, and his legs are up above my belly button on my left side.


The baby, as usual, was measuring about a week ahead of schedule. That has stayed pretty consistant over the last few visits. Everything measures within the norm, and the baby's head circumference is actually a tiny bit smaller than average, so I guess that means that he gets his head side from me and not from Mauri's side of the family (with nicknames "cabezón").






Anyways, the measurements taken were the same ones as were taken in the last appointment, so feel free to take a look at the graphs showing the various measurements. You can see that overall, baby is already estimated to be about 1.4 kg (about 3 lbs.)!!







An interesting thing about this appointment was that it was the first time that I hadn't gained weight since my last appointment. (Well, not since my last appointment here, but since my last appointment 3 weeks ago with the midwife.) According to everything I had read so far, I had gained too much weight in the first 2 trimesters, and, as of several weeks ago, I should be starting to gain more weight now: about a pound a week. So, when I'm supposed to be gaining the most amount of weight, I no longer am gaining. I really haven't been doing anything differently, only eating when I'm hungry, so I guess this proves to me that when it comes to pregnancy, not everyone is the same, and you will gain weight when your body needs it.






Apart from the appointment, I also want to get caught up, and let you know what I've been up to lately. Over the last couple of weeks, I've pretty much finished up the baby's room. I set up the changing table, and have finished clearing out the closet. You can see in the pictures that the changing table part can be taken off the top of the dresser, leaving a normal dresser afterwards. I decided that, to fit in with the theme of the room, I'd change the drawer pulls to blue shells and starfish. Once I got the dresser/chaning table in, I realized that Flounder was mostly covered up, so I ended up painting over him, and I repainted him behind the door on the other side of the light switch. Once I opened the door, I realized how bare that part of the wall really was, so I painted in a few more things.

I've also been buying a few other things for the baby, and have also been receiving gifts (mostly cothes) already. Little by little, we are much closer to being ready for the baby to arrive.




Yesterday afternoon, a few of my ordered baby items arrived. First, a mailman came with a small package which turned out to be some cloth diapers that I had ordered. Yes, I know that many people think that I must be crazy, but I did want some to at least try them out. Since I am new to them, I ordered some very inexpensive one-size (with adjustable snaps), all-in-one diapers with cloth inserts from ebay, figuring that if I really hate them, I really haven't lost much. I got a really good deal, and they ended up costing me just over 2 euros per diaper. I know that I will be using diaposables too, because I don't really have a choice whenever I want to leave the baby with someone else, and think they will be much more convenient when out of the house. On the other hand, when at home, I'd like to be able to use the cloth as much as possible. Not only should they save a bit of money, but I like the idea of them being much more environmentally friendly, and a bit of a break from chemicals and plastic on baby.
Then, later on in the afternoon, I was happy to find that my stroller arrived!! Overall, I'm very happy with it. I like the color that I chose, and have spent most of the morning playing around with the different configurations of how it can be put together. It came with a regular stroller seat, a car seat that can be put on the stroller, and a bassinet. It also came with a diaper bag, a couple of covers for when it is cold and windy, and rain covers. It is pretty complete, and the various parts of it can be put on the stroller facing either towards or away from me. The wheels are pretty big, making it pretty comfortable to push around my house. I tried eveything out except for the rain covers, and was pretty happy with it all. I guess I won't really know for sure how much I love it, though, until I can try it out with baby!!
Well, I guess I'll leave the rest of the update until I get the videos and can put them up on the blog for you.
For now, I'll leave you with the week 28 update from my email:
How your baby's growing:
By this week, your baby weighs two and a quarter pounds (like a Chinese cabbage) and measures 14.8 inches from the top of her head to her heels. She can blink her eyes, which now sport lashes. With her eyesight developing, she may be able to see the light that filters in through your womb. She's also developing billions of neurons in her brain and adding more body fat in preparation for life in the outside world.

For those who are interested in last weeks update (that I never posted here), here it is:
Week 27
This week, your baby weighs almost 2 pounds (like a head of cauliflower) and is about 14 1/2 inches long with her legs extended. She's sleeping and waking at regular intervals, opening and closing her eyes, and perhaps even sucking her fingers. With more brain tissue developing, your baby's brain is very active now. While her lungs are still immature, they would be capable of functioning — with a lot of medical help — if she were to be born now. Chalk up any tiny rhythmic movements you may be feeling to a case of baby hiccups, which may be common from now on. Each episode usually lasts only a few moments, and they don't bother her, so just relax and enjoy the tickle.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

©Copyright 2011 Tracy's Baby Blog | TNB