12 week point

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 0 comments
Today I hit week 12 of pregnancy, and to remind me of it, I got my weekly email.
I'll paste that at the end of today's entry.
First, though, I will update how things are going for me this week.
One of the things that the email comments on is aversions to food. Although I am more able to eat a variety of foods than I was a couple of weeks ago, I do still have an aversion to meats in general. Even fish hasn't been very appealing to me, and I only have had cravings for bland shellfish-type seafoods (like the local "galeras" and "cigalas"- sorry, I'm not sure of the translation). I haven't even really been eating much of those, though, and have been mostly vegetarian lately.
I was starting to suspect that my baby is a fruitarian because I have been mainly living off of fruits, accompanied by nuts, cheeses, yogurt and a few veges. I do have to admit, though, this sort of diet has made me feel much better than I felt in the beginning when I was eating more potatoes and breads.
Another thing that the email mentions is the movement of the baby when you push on your abdomen. I actually had suspected that this might be the case. I know it is too small to feel it, but I think I might have heard the movement.
I know you think I'm crazy, but I can explain. Last week I received one of the things that I ordered off ebay to use during pregnancy. It is an Angelsounds baby doppler which will supposedly allow me to hear the baby's heartbeat, movements and hiccups.
The doppler instructions recommend you try to hear the baby's heartbeat from week 14-15 and up, but many people say that you can hear it as early as 12 weeks. So, yesterday, I moved the doppler around my belly, listening for the baby's heatbeat. While I wasn't able to hear any heartbeat other than my own (even down near my legs when I must have had it over a big artery), I did hear a "splashing" type movement when I pushed the doppler sensor down in certain areas of my belly. Basically it sounded like water swishing around in a pool.
As for the heartbeats, it's easy to tell the difference between the baby's heartbeat and your own, because the baby's heart beats about twice as fast.
Once I begin to hear something interesting, I'll try to record it and find a way to post it here.
Not too much else new has been happening.
Today I found out that Mauri's cousin just had her baby this morning.
I'll get to visit them on thursday when I go to my appointment at the hospital.
I'll also show the new pics and let you know how it all went afterwards.
Meanwhile I'll leave you with the 12 week email update:

How your baby's growing:

The most dramatic development this week: reflexes. Your baby's fingers will soon begin to open and close, his toes will curl, his eye muscles will clench, and his mouth will make sucking movements. In fact, if you prod your abdomen, your baby will squirm in response, although you won't be able to feel it. His intestines, which have grown so fast that they protrude into the umbilical cord, will start to move into his abdominal cavity about now, and his kidneys will begin excreting urine into his bladder.

Meanwhile, nerve cells are multiplying rapidly, and in your baby's brain, synapses are forming furiously. His face looks unquestionably human: His eyes have moved from the sides to the front of his head, and his ears are right where they should be. From crown to rump, your baby-to-be is just over 2 inches long (about the size of a lime) and weighs half an ounce.

See what your baby looks like this week. (Or see what fraternal twins look like in the womb this week.)

Note: Every baby develops a little differently, even in the womb. Our information is designed to give you a general idea of your baby's development.

How your life's changing:

Your uterus has grown to the point where your healthcare provider can now feel the top of it (the fundus) low in your abdomen, just above your pubic bone. You may already be into maternity clothes, especially if this isn't your first pregnancy. If you're still fairly small and not yet ready for maternity clothes, you've no doubt noticed that your waist is thickening and that you're more comfortable in loose, less restrictive clothing.

You may begin to feel heartburn (also called acid indigestion), a burning sensation that often extends from the bottom of your breastbone to your lower throat. Many women get heartburn for the first time during pregnancy, and those who've previously had bouts of heartburn may find that it gets worse. During pregnancy, the placenta produces a lot of the hormone progesterone, which relaxes the valve that separates the esophagus from the stomach. Particularly when you're lying down, gastric acid can seep back up the pipe, which causes the uncomfortable burning sensation. For many women the problem doesn't begin (or get worse) until later in pregnancy, when your growing uterus starts to push up on your stomach. The discomfort may range from mildly annoying to intense and distracting.

Why do I have food aversions?


Nobody really knows why some pregnant women cringe at the sight of meat or heave at the smell of coffee, although there are some theories. Many women experience a heightened sense of smell while pregnant, which may account for some food aversions. Some scents — like garlic, for instance — can be too potent to seem palatable. Because progesterone slows down the digestive tract, which may lead to constipation and indigestion, pregnant women may also instinctively stay away from meats and gassy veggies like broccoli that can be hard to digest, says Dr. Gil Gross, an associate professor of obstetrics and gynecology at Washington University in St. Louis.


Luckily for me, no heartburn or other digestive problems- just the food aversions. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

©Copyright 2011 Tracy's Baby Blog | TNB