Fixing my appointments, and buttered popcorn with oreo ice cream...

Saturday, January 23, 2010 1 comments
On Wednesday I went back to the ambulatorio lines to try to get my appointment for an ultrasound at the public hospital.
It seems a little worthless to me, considering that a couple of days later I have an appointment with the private doctor who will be also giving me an ultrasound with much better equipment, but I guess I have to get used to the fact that this is just the way things are done here.
Of course, by the time I got there (after having waited a day or two for my info to refresh itself in the system), there were no appointments left for the dates I needed. (around the 20th and before the 22nd- the day I was supposed to have the appointment with the midwife)
So, I got the earliest appointment I could get- the morning of the 22nd, at the same time that I was supposed to have my appointment with the midwife.
I decided that I should change my appointment with the midwife, and was luckily able to get an appointment for the morning of the 23rd, right before my appointment with the private doctor on the same evening.
I decided to cancel the appointment that I had scheduled for Thursday (tomorrow) with my doctor to get the iodine perscription: partly because I decided that I prefer to follow the advice of the private doctor over the public midwife, and partly because I was getting sick of spending so much wasted time at the ambulatorio.

Anyways, with all of that taken care of, it was time to eat lunch.

Unfortunately, that task is becoming progressively more difficult.
It isn't that I am no longer hungry...
I actually feel very hungry, and my stomach might even be growling more than usual. The problem is that nothing appeals to me.
For example, ever since I've been pregnant, I haven't been able to even look at chocolate. I'll admit that I was always a bit picky about the chocolate that I would eat. I hate milk chocolate, and for me the darker and more bitter, the better. Now, though, even the darkest, purest chocolate just doesn't appeal to me.
I was told to eat grilled meats and vegetables several times throughout the day...
but on most days, the thought of any meat just makes me feel sick. I might be able to take a few bites, but I get to a point where I'm taking a bite, and I just can't even swallow what I've just tried to eat.
So, I guess it wasn't surprising when the cravings started to come...
OK, I can't look at chocolate, but somehow oreo cookies, something I hadn't eaten in years, sounded quite appealing.
Well, let's ground up some oreo cookies in milk, and throw them into the ice cream maker. (The midwife had told me to drink more milk, after all.)
Although I felt a bit guilty about it, I guess in hindsight this really was probably the healthiest way to satisfy my cravings. (I really only had eaten the equivalent of two oreo cookies and a glass of milk).
That wasn't enough, though...
While the oreo cookie ice cream was in the making, I just needed to eat movie style buttered popcorn!!
So, that was next on the agenda.
Just as the popcorn was finishing, so was the "ice cream", and I was happily eating popcorn with oreo ice cream.
The only thing that made me feel a little less guilty was the fact that I was sharing the strange mix of food with a couple of friends who seemed to enjoy them as much as I was.
Still, normally I consider myself to be somewhat of a health food junkie. I juice a mixture of veges and fruits for breakfast. I try to have grilled meats and fish with veges for lunch.
While on the weekends, I might break away from that and eat nachos with guacamole and margaritas, but normally I do pretty well.
So, why is it that now, when I'm supposed to be watching what I'm eating most, that I just can't stomach most healthy things. Other than almost living on fruit and yogurt, the rest of the things that I crave aren't exactly healthy, nor are they characteristic of what I would normally want to eat.
It is an interesting albeit frustrating experience.
I guess I'll have to settle for eating a few more carbs than usual, more cheese, and give in to a few other things I've been craving lately, and just try to control the "bad foods" as much as I can.
I'll let you know how it goes...

1 comments:

Post a Comment

 

©Copyright 2011 Tracy's Baby Blog | TNB